Pan de Maíz is one of my father’s favorite deserts ever. He knows where to find the best ones back home. If I ever crave it, I just let him know and he’ll hook me right up. This delicious cake is similar to a cornbread but it’s also seen as a dessert. This recipe is pretty much a base recipe with a few alterations I add in order to get the flavor I’ll be straight up honest with y’all, I’ve been craving these cakes for about a week now. I’ve contemplated going back home just to eat one and a few other things…
2 C of cornmeal
1 C of milk
1 C of all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1 1/2 tsp of salt
4 tbs of baking powder
2 large eggs
4 tbs of melted butter
1/2 of sugar
1. Waltz your way to the oven in order to seduce it into baking the fluffiest cake ever. Do make sure to keep eye contact with it whilst you waltz. Let it know you mean business. Once the oven seems seduced and compliant, pre heat it to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl add your flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar then mix them. You want the dry ingredients to sift together nicely. You definitely don’t want any lumps. Lumpy cakes aren’t very good.
3. In your mixer, add the two eggs, vanilla, and milk then mix them all together. Make sure your eggs are mixed well but not overmixed, you aren’t making scrambled eggs. Once mixed, the liquids will be ready to accept the powdered ingredients and make a cake.
4. Now before you add your powdered ingredients go get your sifter. You will sift your dry ingredients into your wet ones. The sifting will prevent the lumps but also make your cake a little more fluffier.
5. Once you’re done sifting, mix your cake until it resembles a very liquidy cake batter.
6. It is time to prepare your pan and get the cake a’baking. Butter your cake pan and coat it with flour then add your cake batter. You’ll want to bake it for 35-50 minutes. If you’re unsure whether or not your cake is done make sure to caketest it. Just stab a toothpick right in the center of the cake if it comes out clean, you’re done! If it doesn’t it needs more time.