A couple of nights ago, I realized that I have never made cornbread before and that could not persist. It did not persist! For I have made a deliciously moist bread of corn! Now, let me inform ya’ll on how I accomplished this masterpiece!
2 cups of self-rising cornmeal
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
2/3 cup of corn oil
2/3 cup of sugar
1 1/4 cup Buttermilk
1 cup of milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1. Friends, you must preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Why? Because if the bread-lair is not hot enough, the bread will refuse to rise!
2. In a large bowl, add the eggs and sugar. Mix until blended.
3. To this mixture, sift in your cornmeal, then add your buttermilk and baking soda and let it sit for 5 minutes.
4. After the batter has rested its weary head, add your flour, salt, and milk. Mix this wonderful concoction until it is well blended. Then let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
5. Blend this mixture well! I used my arms and I mixed it for a good 5 minutes! (’cause I’m all strong and awesome like that)
6. Once your little friend has been mixed and put to rest, grease the pan you plan to bed him in, and off to the oven you go! For about 40-55 minutes. Give or take, you’ll know your friend is ready to come out when he’s golden brown.