I’ve been craving orange and chocolate topped cookies for at least two weeks now. Yesterday, Scarletscorchdroppers posted this lovely recipe. Although I did not follow her cookie instructions, I was inspired by hers. This recipe can also act as a Panky cookie. Back when I was kid, Panky cookies were all the rage. Every kid had one in their lunchbox! Anyway, these cookies were made of my hopes and dreams. They were all very pretty dreams, which resulted in a fluffy, buttery, and happy cookie.
2 fl oz of Orange Juice (you know, from an orange not the stuff that comes in jugs)
1/2 c sugar
1 stick of butter
1tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 large egg
1 1/4 c of all-purpose flour
1 tsp of orange zest
1/3 c of dark chocolate (your choice)
1/2 tbs of butter
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Do not forget to ask the oven for permission. If it does not grant it as quickly as you’d hope. Apologize for anything you might have done to upset it and with pleading eyes, tell the oven you love it. This will most certainly warm the oven’s heart to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium sized bowl, add the room temperature butter, orange juice, and sugar. Cream the ingredients together, then add 1 cup of the flour. The flour will make the ingredients look creamy and lovely. It’s the beautifying agent, it is added in order to make the cookie dough feel good about its appearance. To the remaining 1/4 cup add the baking soda and baking powder, then throw these powdery buddies into the mixture, alongside the egg.
3. Once the ingredients are all mixed and the cookie dough is beaming with self-confidence, add the orange zest for the orange cookie dough If you’d like Panky cookies, do not add the zest. The orange zest gives the orange cookies the ultimate orange powers.
4. In a double boiler, heated by a cauldron or pot, add the dark chocolate morsels and 1/2 tbs of butter. Stir the chocolate until it is completely melted.
5. In a greased cookie sheet, bake the cookies anywhere from 7-10 minutes or until you are blinded by their radiant golden brown glow.